Introduction and purpose
Pass plus is one of the new driving examination courses introduced by DVSA and is considered the best way to give additional driving experience to a qualified learner.
The main aim of this course is to impart valuable knowledge to drivers who have recently passed the practical driving test, and who want to learn new skills and techniques, improve their anticipation and alertness and learn how to reduce accidents.
It has been statistically proved that entirely new drivers are more often considerably more prone to mishaps, predominantly within the first couple of years of driving.
It includes 6 parts which effects in creation of superior drivers who will respond promptly as well as more obviously to any sort of incident that they might come across while driving. In this way, together their aptitude and their self-confidence are improved, the effect being a less hazardous and more knowledgeable driver
Purpose of the Pass Plus course
• To reduce insurance costs.
• To have a precise driving knowledge safe and sound.
• Get trained how to deal with a broad range of road and traffic situations, many of which you almost won't have come across before.
• Upgrade on your existing skills and knowledge - it can take years to become a skilled driver. Instead Pass Plus helps you to get this by speeding up the learning procedure under the guidance of a professional instruction.
• Diminish your danger of being in a road crash - the training will help you to improve your consciousness and alertness on all kinds of hazards and help you in learning how to become an expert, sketch the hurdles and deal with them carefully.
• Pass Plus training also helps in boosting up your confidence whenever you feel nervous while driving on your own.
Pass Plus comprises six modules, each covering a different aspect of driving. These modules are:
Driving out of town
Driving on dual carriageways
Driving on motorways
Some of the aspects may be covered in theory only, such as weather and night driving which require conditions that may be hard to replicate especially in the summer, or motorway driving if there is no motorway nearby. However, this is only done when a practical training session is not possible.
The scheme takes a minimum of six hours to complete. The practical assessment is more lenient than that used in the standard driving test, and adherence to many rules that would otherwise constitute a major mistake in the main practical exam (such as allowing the car to slide against its gear, or parking at an angle) does not apply. It is only required that one is able to drive safely and legally.
There is no examination at the end of the Pass Plus course; rather, a certificate is awarded once the instructor is satisfied with the candidate's competence.
Each module must be completed to an achieved or exceeded standard, in order to pass:
Achieved: successfully reached the standard required for each of the competencies.
Exceeded: exceeded the required standard for each of the competencies.
If a module is completed in theory, "Achieved" is the highest standard possible, as the candidate does not have an opportunity to practically demonstrate their competence.
A number of insurance companies offer cheaper car insurance to drivers who have completed the Pass Plus scheme. These include:
Adrian Flux Insurance
Co-operative Insurance Society
Provident Insurance plc
Tesco Personal Finance
Zurich Financial Services